- This class has passed.
Sharpening Edged Tools
February 22, 2020 @ 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Learn techniques for sharpening chisels, plane irons and other edged tools for great performance!
In this class, you will learn about:
– How to tune up and sharpen your edged tool;
– How to sharpen for specific purposes;
– Sharpening safety;
– What “sharpness” is;
– Types of tool steel, advantages and disadvantages, and common woodworking tool applications;
– Types of sharpening methods and their advantages and
– Quick overview of powered grinders and electric sharpening methods;
– Shop aids to help you sharpen more effectively.
(We will NOT cover carving gouges or knives in this class.)
This class is part of our Hand Tool Academy series. For a complete introduction to hand tools, register for at least three classes in the series and get a discount!
STUDENT-SUPPLIED TOOL REQUIREMENTS (per student):
If available, students should bring the following. We will have some practice items available too.
- An edged tool that needs sharpening, but is otherwise in good condition (plane iron, bench chisel, spoke shave iron, drawknife)
- Your sharpening method (to include: oil, if oil stones; a stone pond/water basin of some sort, if water stones)
- A sharpening jig
- Sharpening stone holder(s)
You may bring more than one tool; if time allows, we will attempt to sharpen the additional tools. Please DO NOT bring heavily damaged tools (severely chipped/gouged, bent, heavy rust, deep pitting, etc.). If you’d like an additional class on edged tool rehabilitation and tune-up please let the instructor know.