Sharpening Edged Tools
January 24, 2021 @ 2:30 pm – 5:30 pm MDT
Learn techniques for sharpening chisels, plane irons and other edged tools for great performance!
Instructor James Owen, our resident hand-tool expert, will teach you:
– How to tune up and sharpen your edged tool;
– Sharpening safety;
– What “sharpness” is;
– Types of tool steel, advantages and disadvantages, and common woodworking tool applications;
– Types of sharpening methods and their advantages and
– Quick overview of powered grinders and electric sharpening methods;
– Shop aids to help you sharpen more effectively.
(We will NOT cover carving gouges or knives.)
If available, students should bring the following, otherwise all tools and materials will be provided for practice.
- An edged tool that needs sharpening, but is otherwise in good condition (plane iron, bench chisel, spoke shave iron, drawknife). No heavy damage.
- Your sharpening method, if you have one